|black bean goodness|
craig and i have been attempting to do carb-free dinners. i tend to subsist on carbs, so the transition has given me a much needed daily reprieve from my cereal, oatmeal, rice, pasta, bread lifestyle. in my ongoing attempt to be creative in the kitchen, i made black bean cakes last night...and they turned out pretty good : ) so, i thought i'd share the recipe in case any of you want a crab-free evening!
black bean cakes (for two)
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
salt & pepper
1. saute onion, pepper and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil until softened and lightly browned. season with salt & pepper.
2. mash all but 1/3 cup black beans and add 1/2 of onion/pepper mixture (reserve other 1/2 for topping).
3. toast the reserved 1/3 cup beans in 1 tsp olive oil for a few minutes (season with salt, pepper and additional garlic if you want).
4. add toasted beans to mashed beans/onion/pepper mixture. form patties - you should be able to get approximately 8 small cakes.
5. saute cakes in remaining olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes on each side until browned. season with more salt & pepper. (beans can be bland, so be sure to "layer in" seasonings.) fyi: cakes will be soft (like mashed potato texture) with a thin crispy shell.
|dinner time. come and get it!|
serve over chopped romaine and top with curry sour cream and remaining onion/pepper mixture.
feeling crazy? also top with chopped pickles. they add a great salty crunch!
for you health nuts out there: 75 calories/cake. oh yeah, and they're vegan!.