here's what you'll need:
1/2 a loaf of day-old crusty bread (we like to use rosemary focaccia)
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup whole milk or half & half
mustard, worcestershire or ranch dressing to taste
salt & pepper
butter or olive oil
1) while oven preheats, saute onions in either olive or butter over medium heat.
2) in a large, buttered oven-safe baking dish mix together chunks of bread, sauteed onions, cheese (saving a bit for the top) and season with salt and pepper.
3) in a bowl, beat eggs with milk (or cream) and season with salt, pepper and either mustard, worcestershire or ranch. totally your choice, but traditionally my mom uses worcestershire sauce : )
4) pour egg mixture over bread mixture and press bread to make sure it absorbs egg mixture thoroughly. sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
5) bake for 30-45 minutes until golden brown on top and eggs are set.
this makes approximately 8 servings, so there will be plenty of leftovers to enjoy later or the next day. keep in mind, above is a very "basic" strata recipe, so don't hesitate to add your own personal flare. mix in roasted tomatoes, fresh herbs or crumbled chicken sausage to really impress. yum!
merry christmas breakfast!