channeling some inspiration from our recent trip to marrakech, morocco, i wanted to try my hand at making a curry dish. i wanted it to have a creamy, but not too heavy of a base, so i opted for puréed pumpkin to add a subtle richness to the dish.
here's what you'll need:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
3 medium yukon gold potatoes in 1/2 in cubes
2 cans (15 oz each) chick peas, rinsed
1 can (15 oz) organic pumpkin purée
1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes with sweet onion
1 can (12 fl oz) evaporated milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp curry
1 tsp cumin
dash of cinnamon
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1. in a large stock pot, saute onion & pepper in 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
2. as they cook down, add 1 tsp curry & 1/2 tsp cumin.
3. once onions are translucent, add potatoes, garlic and peanut butter. stir to coat all veggies with peanut butter.
4. add pumpkin, milk, tomatoes, a dash of cinnamon and the remainder of the curry & cumin. stir.
5. simmer for approximately 35 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender.
6. once potatoes are cooked through, add chick peas and remove from heat.
serve over couscous or rice to soak up all the good sauce : ) makes approx. 6 servings.