last night for dinner, i was in the mood for something simple and fresh. i had some zucchini and onion, found some quinoa (say keen-wa) in the pantry and took out some sundried tomato chicken sausage to defrost.
here's what you'll need (but feel free to improvise and use what you have handy)
1/2 large zucchini
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
5 oz chicken sausage (links)
salt & pepper
1. saute veggies in a bit of olive oil until golden brown. season with salt & pepper.
2. bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. add a few dashes of red curry. add quinoa to boiling water, stir and reduce to simmer. cook for 20 minutes or until water is absorb.
3. set veggies aside. prep pan for chicken sausage by adding a bit of olive oil. over medium heat, sear the chicken sausage on both sides to create a nicely browned crust. add 1/4 cup water to pan and cover. allow sausage to continue cooking until cooked through (5+ minutes).
4. while chicken cooks, defrost peas in microwave.
5. once chicken is done, slice it into coins and toss it with veggies (zucchini, onion, peas) and rosemary.
when all is ready, serve quinoa topped with chicken sausage and veggies over a bed of garden greens.
we topped ours with fresh tomato sauce and a bit of sharp provolone to add some zing!
other combos to consider:
- use a red pepper sausage and top with salsa and sour cream
- use an italian sausage and top with grated parmesan, herbs and olive oil
- try other veggies - peppers, carrots, shallots, broccoli, the sky's the limit!