i am the cook at our house, and i enjoy it. cooking is one of my all-time favorite things, but believe me, i enjoy a night off too. so, my lovely fiance is not only going to relieve me in the kitchen (once in a while) but has also agreed to let me blog about it! (he wants ultimate recognition for his contribution : )
so, what did craig cook for us? crab cakes! and they were so delicious. i honestly think he has been deliberately making me believe he can't cook in order to escape cooking duties : ) i mean, just look at the amazingness he cooked up! it does not look like the work of a cooking novice by any means...
1 lb fresh lump crab meat
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
1 tsp curry
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
salt & pepper
1. in a medium bowl combine mayo, mustard and squeeze of lemon.
2. add crabmeat, dill, curry and season with salt and pepper, stirring gently.
3. add beaten egg and 1/2 cup bread crumbs, again stirring gently to combine.
4. place remaining bread crumbs in shallow bowl.
5. in a skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil. (oil is sufficiently heated when a drop of water makes oil sizzle.)
6. while oil heats, shape crab mixture in balls and roll in bread crumbs to coat. once coated, press flat into cake shape.
7. place cakes in oil and cook until they are browned (3 or so minutes per side). *keep a close eye - oil cooks quickly and spritzes. (...craig learned the hard way when he was "attacked" by the oil...)
8. remove cakes from oil and drain on paper towel.
serve with tartar sauce or yogurt dill sauce (that's what we had) and fresh lemon. and enjoy (of course) with your cocktail of choice!
for someone who "doesn't cook", craig made some of the best crab cakes i've enjoyed in quite a while! well done, babe. very well done.
and don't forget to enter for a chance to win these lovely earrings!!! you have until monday, march 7th to enter the spiral style giveaway : )