with all this cold(ish) weather we've been having here, i've been totally feeling hearty food - soup, chili and red wine (is that a food?). the other day, trying to satisfy my fall-food craving, i made a simple, yet completely delicious meal.
here's what i came up with:
1 link chicken sausage - used sweet italian, but my real favorite is spinach & feta
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup water
1 tsp olive oil
1 small tomato, sliced
salt & pepper
1. put olive into a saute pan and heat. after a moment, add the (defrosted) link of chicken sausage and enjoy the "sizzle".
2. allow the sausage to get a crispy coating on both sides before adding the onion & mushrooms. saute the veggies and then cut the sausage into chunks to make certain they cook all the way through.
3. cover and continue to cook. (if veggies and/or chicken are starting to stick, add 1/4 cup of water before covering.)
4. when chicken is cooked thoroughly and onions & mushrooms are caramelized, season with salt & pepper.
5. serve with fresh tomato and basil.
|after my habitual cut-and-mix-mix-and-cut|
this meal was the perfect size for a hearty lunch but could definitely work for any meal! you could whip up some scrambled eggs and serve this as a side, or you could add the mixture to pasta or top couscous with it. yum!
bon appetit : )