still lovin' me some whole foods. yesterday, i went to a nearby natural foods store and also a local farmers' market in order to gather the necessary groceries for the week. the two stores i visited yesterday i liked even better than the markets i went to last week. they had a better selection overall and had a lot more local produce, dairy products and eggs! very exciting : )
so last night - excited to use my farmers' market bounty - i improvised a vegetable tarte tatin using potatoes, mushrooms and onions. it was simple and delicious...and looked really pretty too. attractive food always tastes better - have you ever noticed that?
potato & mushroom tarte tatin
1/4 shallot, diced
3 small potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
3-4 baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 green onion
salt & pepper
preheat oven to 400
1. spray a 10" cast iron skillet (or pan) with olive oil.
2. saute shallots until golden brown.
3. arrange the veggie over shallots in a circular fan design.
4. season with salt & pepper and spray with more olive oil.
5. snip green onion over top with cooking shears.
6. bake for 30 or so minutes until potatoes are tender and golden around edges.
we enjoyed our tarte tatin over local lettuce and topped it with chicken apple sausage, goat milk feta (from another local dairy) and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. yummy!